Monday, February 7, 2011

Communication, Complexity, and Complication

I had a phone interview with a company today for a project management position. I was told it was a "phone screen." I'm glad I did it because I need the experience interviewing for project manager positions. The call turned out to be more of a full interview and an unpleasant one for a number of reasons.

Two questions among the battery of questions the interviewer asked (with no enthusiasm and pretty clearly reading from a standard form) were roughly
  1. What are skills of good communicators? 
  2. Describe the most complex problem you've solved in one of your jobs and give specific examples of what you did to solve the problem.
Like the subject of narrative in my last post, I can think of hundreds of things to say about good communication skills. It doesn't help that I just read Management 3.0 and my mind is full of new ideas. I could say so much, I'm kind of thrown for a loop when asked such a general question in such a context.

I get thrown by questions like these when they aren't part of a conversation, and  I can have a hard time with tests. In retrospect, I know I should tell stories that sell my abilities when asked these kinds of questions. Looking at the different types of communicators, I'm definitely not a salesman. However, I believe 'Influencing' is among my capabilities nonetheless.

What I was really thinking was the question was asked was, "Why are you asking this question?" Ironically, I need to work on my communication skills when interviewing. What I heard during the conversation was from the very start was, "I don't want to be interviewing you. I personally don't care about any of your answers." In retrospect,  that's what I heard, and I wish I would have reflected back (in a diplomatic fashion) what I heard instead of continue through an increasing painful interview process.

I've heard the second question many times in software engineering interviews. Now I need to be prepared to answer it in project management interviews. I wasn't prepared for this phone interview. Trying to answer it on the fly, I was flummoxed right off the bat because I was wondering what qualified as a "complex problem." This has tripped me up in the past. The word complex is used in a lot of different ways:
1. Complicated: difficult to analyze or understand

This is how I have usually interpreted "complex" in technical interviews, which are usually trying to determine how smart you are. By default, I think of technical smarts as mostly defined by your ability to solve technical problems requiring complicated math, complicated algorithms, or clever hacking skill.

I found a lot of my hard science coursework in engineering school hard to understand. In comparison to engineering school, the majority of the programming I've done hasn't been that hard to analyze or understand with several notable exceptions. In comparison to engineering school and some programming problems, I don't think of the problems I've solved in project management as complicated.
2. Challenging: requiring full use of one's ability or resources
A lot of the work I've done as a project manager and a software engineer has been challenging. I love being challenged and there lots of different types of challenges. In retrospect, I think this is how I should have interpreted the question.
3. Complex: 1. A whole composed of interconnected or interwoven parts; 2. somewhat predictable (but with many surprises) [the second is the definition applicable for describing complex systems]

I don't think complicated algorithms, complicated math used in games, and clever hacking is complex using these definitions. However, the large software systems I've worked on, and in many cases designed, have had a lot of interconnected parts. There was a lot to manage and organize. I think you could argue that that large software systems are also complex, adaptive systems.
Except for the rare trivial problem, managing people and projects is complex using either definition. How do I deal with complexity in project management?  I use the whole set of practices and tools I've been developing over the last several years and I'm continuing to develop. (Which I had described earlier in the phone conversation).
Well, I told the company I was not interested, but it was good practice. I'll be better prepared for the next test. I like storytelling so I'll come up with some good stories to tell when given a wide open opportunity to sell myself. A former studio GM showed me the value of being a good storyteller.

4 comments:

  1. I too was flummuxed by this question because I have solved so many complex problems that no one jumps out off the top of my head. This is something I'd have to think about. If it's a common question in interviews it's good to know ahead because, as you say, you can now think of a few and tailor the stories to the company and the position.
    I posed this question to several others and they were all stumped too. I think it's the word "most" - suddenly you have to review all possible "complex" problems you've faced (over your worklife) and do a relative analysis of them. I still don't have mine in mind.
    I agree story telling is great.
    Did I understand interviewed was by a non-personage? That is weird experience too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, my first blog comment ever!

    I've since looked on the web and learned that these kinds of questions are "behavioral interviewing" questions (http://www.brockport.edu/career/behave.htm) and there's a "STAR" process for answering them. Except for maybe one exception, I've only had technical interviews. I've gotten some of these questions before but it's somehow seems easier for me if the answers are technical, e.g., "To find if there were nearby enemies, I had to implement an R-tree that did spatial sorting."

    I was interviewed by the company's Director of Operations. I determined that I wouldn't want to work for her, and I believe she was the hiring manager.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also realized that I'm not in the habit of coming up with stories to tell people for problems that I've solved.

    Based upon what I've learned, I believe I think in terms of if-then statements, rules with triggering criteria, and lists, which is like programming. If the interviewer gave me some inputs and a desired outcome, I'd run my heuristics and generate an answer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made some edits to the post.

    Perhaps I was over-thinking the question about 'complex' problems, but I was delighted to read the section "Management 3.0" where it talks about the difference between complicated and complex.

    I think the gist of the problem is that I need to learn to interview for jobs other than programming jobs.

    ReplyDelete