Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Roleplaying Flow

Today offered up another outstanding blog post by one of my favorite bloggers and writers about roleplaying, Rob Donoghue: A Framework of Faces.
Everything in the game has faces. Bring those faces to life, and the game takes care of itself.
The idea that there's time for characters to "settle in" and improvisation can take over is what captured my imagination when I got into "indie roleplaying" several years ago. I was bringing hopes and expectations from improv theater, and I was looking for something quite different than the traditional roleplaying I'd done in the 80s and 90s. I was looking for character-driven play and improvisation.

Rob is speaking as a GM, but I don't know how often I've experienced "critical mass" as a player and I certainly haven't as a novice GM. A lot of my roleplaying experience in the last several years has either been traditional RPGs (e.g., D&D 3.5/4.0) or conventions in one-shots. At conventions, you create your character and charge ahead as fast as you can. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping track of all of the characters, PCs and NPCs. I'm often tongue-tied and breathless and definitely not "settled in."

After reading Rob's post, I reflected upon my Getting Lost in Narrative post. In addition to "peak experience" moments I also enjoy experiencing "flow." I have great memories of peak experiences, but they usually happened in the context of "flow."

No comments:

Post a Comment